GENERAL ENROLMENT INFORMATION
Elsternwick Primary School is committed to ensuring that all students and their families feel a part of the whole school community. To support families with their decision in enrolling their child at EPS, we provide an informative tour of the school that showcases how we successfully cater for the social, emotional and academic needs of all students.
We also provide a comprehensive transition program for students new to the school. The program focuses on ensuring the student and parents/carers feel safe, happy and supported throughout their schooling life at EPS.
At Elsternwick PS we currently have an Enrolment Zone around our school. Students residing in our zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
Our school zone is available on findmyschool.vic.gov.au which hosts the most
up-to-date information on school zones in Victoria.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.
For more information, you can:
2024 FOUNDATION (PREP) ENROLMENTS
The Department of Education has released a new state-wide Foundation (Prep) enrolment timeline.
The timeline advises families when and how to enrol their child into Foundation (Prep) at a Victorian government primary school, including Elsternwick Primary School.
The new timeline will apply for children starting Foundation (Prep) in 2024. All government primary schools will follow the new timeline in 2023 to support Foundation (Prep) enrolments for the 2024 school year.
You can find information and resources about the new timeline, including factsheets, at: Enrolling in Foundation (Prep). You can also download the ‘Foundation (Prep) Enrolment Information Pack for Parents/Carers for the 2024 school year’ from the Starting School webpage (available from Monday, 24th April 2023).
You will be able to apply to enrol your child in Foundation (Prep) 2024 at Elsternwick Primary School from Monday, 24th April 2023 (first day of Term 2).
What you need to do:
- Book a school tour or to learn more about our school and the enrolment application process
- Download the Foundation (Prep) enrolment information pack from Enrolling in Foundation (Prep) (available from Monday, 24th April 2023)
- Submit an enrolment application for Foundation (Prep) by Friday, 28th July 2023
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application by Friday, 11th August 2023. If you receive an offer of placement, you should contact our school to accept the offer by Friday, 25th August 2023.
- Take part in enrolment information and transition sessions during Term 4, 2023
- Your child will start Foundation (Prep) from Tuesday, 30th January 2024.
Enrolment applications submitted after Friday, 28th July 2023 will be processed by our school as they are received, in accordance with the department’s Placement Policy.
School readiness falls into a range of areas all of which are important in ensuring that your child has a positive start to their schooling. The law in Victoria states that children must attend school from the age of 6. To enrol in a government school, a child must turn 5 before 30 April of the year they start school.
Below are some helpful points to support your choice in deciding if your child is ‘school ready’:
Socially & emotionally my child can:
- Foster independence and self-resilience
- Use the bathroom, dress themselves & eat independently
- Communicate well & be able to express themselves
- Listen respectfully & cope with a structured environment
- Social skills that include being able to share & wait patiently for their turn
- Use classroom tools such as crayons, pencils & scissors
- Show natural curiosity, interest and confidence in learning new things
- Recognise and write some letters of their own name
- Tell stories about events in their lives, in sequence
- Notice letters & words they see in the environment
- Talk about their favourite stories & describe characters and things that happen in the story
- Know and talk about their age
- Recognise some numbers
- Count objects up to 10
- Name common shapes and colours
It is important to talk with your child’s kindergarten teacher about school readiness. Your child’s kindergarten teacher can provide you with advice on your child’s development and school readiness to help you make the best decision.
Questions you could ask your child’s Kindergarten teacher might include:
- Is my child socially and emotionally ready for their first year of primary school?
- Are my child’s communication and language skills developed sufficiently so they can navigate their school?
- Is my child ready in all aspects of their development?
Readiness is not an event that happens at a certain time and it is a process that every child moves through at their own pace.
YEAR 1 - YEAR 6 ENROLMENTS
If your child will be in Year 1 – Year 6 in 2023/2024, please complete the Elsternwick Primary School Enrolment Enquiry Form via the following link.
If you would like a tour of our school follow this link to register: 2023 SCHOOL TOURS
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ENROLMENTS
Elsternwick PS is an accredited International Student Program school.
Elsternwick PS offers a warm welcome to international students. We have a mix of academic programs with extra-curricular activities such as Physical Education, Performing Arts, STEAM, Art & Mandarin (our language).
All primary-aged students attending a Victorian government school must live with either a parent or legal guardian (e.g. in the case of adoption).
Prep through to Year 6 (with a total duration of up to 7 years) form primary school classes in Victorian government schools. To enter Prep, students must be 5 years of age on or before 30 April that year (this applies to dependant fee category students only). Standard fee category students must be at least 6 years of age at the time they apply for their visa. The final year of primary school is Year 6 where students are usually 12 to 13 years of age.
For further information about the International Student Program please visit Department of Education International Student Program Information.
ELSTERNWICK PS ENROLMENT FORM
A copy of the EPS Enrolment Form can be found below:
For further information please visit the Department of Educations Enrolment policy.
To return the Enrolment form, please do one of the following:
1) Drop off completed Enrolment form to the office during office hours
(Monday – Friday: 8.00am – 4.00pm)
2) Scan and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org